Located on Beach Road U.S. 98 about 10 miles west of Panama City, Florida, the Sea Horse served
as a gas station, grocery store, post office, laundermat, gift shop, cottage rental office, game room
and restaurant. The original name of the restaurant was Joy's Dining Room (Menu and Ad Sheet).
From 1948 thru 1968, the Sea Horse was owned and operated by Grier C. Barnhart of Laguna Beach.
It is said that Mr. Barnhart himself came up with the Sea Horse name. After selling the store,
Mr. Barnhart (click-on here to view 1950s photo w/daughter Joy, wife Pansy) ran a cottage rental
and real estate office behind the Sea Horse building until his passing in April of 1978.
Sometime after the end of the 1960's, the Sea Horse became just a laundermat and game room, but at
times the cafe and bar section would be revived. The Charlie Lahan Carousel, located a few yards west
yards west of the Sea Horse and in business since the 1960's, took up where the Sea Horse had left off,
serving as home to a grocery store, a gift shop, as well as the Laguna Beach Post Office.
For many years from the 1980s into the early 2000s, the Sea Horse was known as the Sea Horse Cafe.
Shortyly the 4th of July 2002, the Sea Horse Cafe closed its doors for good. The building was torn
down and a mini-condo complex now sits on the property.
The author of this web-page currently seeks any photos, articles, ads and memorabilia related to
the Sea Horse, as well as the Little B'Ham (Birmingham) Lounge and Liquor Store. Little B'Ham was
the only Laguna Beach establishment (as far as is known) to be located on the beach side of U.S. 98
(Front Beach Road). It existed until the early 1970's.
May 1948, before the front entrance was modified.
Early 1950's, with front entrance patio cover added.